View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #130 (permalink)
itjstagame
Transient

Commuter Plus - '98 Saturn SW2
Last 3: 37.12 mpg (US)

Rover - '07 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Last 3: 17.6 mpg (US)

Blackie - '16 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback
90 day: 33.25 mpg (US)

Bertha - '11 Four Winds Chateau 31a
90 day: 7.79 mpg (US)

Van - '15 Honda Odyssey EX
Darin, yes, I didn't realize until now that you were MetroMPG in your Insight.

My Saturn was a bit hidden since I was in the gas station lot at the start and I wasn't able to stay for the after race events.

Yes, I think my %EPA/TC was quite high even still and I assume that was using the 'with penalties' fuel economy? This car wasn't rated for all that much originally, only 23 city and 33 high way, so 42 over that route was good for me.

That turn I missed at the end really bother's me because it's only the 3rd turn we'd missed and we really had our system down by then. I think it was just because there was no EOS for section 9 (guess he already left), but I would swear that turn was at 1.9km and not 2.3km. My odo hadn't been off by that far except only once before and with the barn up ahead I thought there was a turn just after it.

I wasn't sure if I was a bother when you were following me or not, but the last 2 sections were very flat and nice and I definitely took advantage. During section 10, after you passed me, my scan gauge was averaging around 60mpg with 80-90km -> 60km eoc p+g. I'm very pleased with my car because I am not that good with <45mph roads, my typical commute is 55mph highway and sometimes I have 45mph country roads (kind of like sections 9 and 10). The only other route I take with mixed 35-45mph hilly roads I usually am around 40mpg.

It is probably the hilly sections that killed me because I would struggle up some and have to completely ride the brake (even with engine braking) and not get full advantage of the potential energy as I could have (because I had more potential energy/momentum than the turns/road course would allow, probably due to my loaded car :-D).

As for my comment about the time penalties, I only met one other car when we were both stuck behind a non-contestant going 40kmh in a section marked for 80kmh. It had nothing to do with out times or cars ignoring them. I only mentioned it because it was the area around section 6 or 7 where its pretty much always blind corners and there was no good way to pass.

As for the actual out times, the only comment I have, is that almost every time I received my out time it was for a time that had already passed. I'm not sure how other people did it, or if some how I need to be faster getting out of the car or what, because I was stopping as close to the time cars as I could and running to and from them sometimes, but typically I would get to a time car, he would take the time that I passed him, while in the car, and add 1 minute, where if he had added 1 minute to the current time instead then I'd have had time to get to my car and prep to leave. Its no big deal, just an added challenge that I am prepared for next time. I always had to jump in the car, go, buckle and reset odo while driving.