View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
No. I do this for clarity and to avoid messes like this one here (I could have quoted the whole thread, but that would bog things down even more). It comes in handy when addressing a specific point and helps reduce clutter.
Bull.

You didn't need to quote the entire post. You could have posted the entire sentence, however. But, posting the entire sentence makes the person being quoted sound quite reasonable. By cutting off the end of the sentence, that person looks like a d-bag.

Quote:
Anyway, let me get this straight. Society banded together and elected people to set rules, some of which are speed limits. Now I owe it to society to break those rules even though area law enforcement treats speeding like it's the number one threat to public safety?
Nope, you don't have it straight. I said that it makes sense to maintain the limit at times, but, if you still want to drive slower, it is your right. Just be courteous and don't hold up traffic. If traffic builds behind you, either pick it up a bit or move over so others can pass safely.

Quote:
I do exceed the posted limit, but not by as much as I used to. Another part of the enjoyment with hypermiling is that I can focus more on actual driving and less on scanning for threats. EOCing past a traffic stop that blew by me me five minutes ago is just gravy. But politeness and smooth traffic flow notwithstanding, how much gasoline do I owe anyone and why do I not have the right to remain in compliance with the law? It's not that I'm always below the limit and there are many places where doing it is unreasonable, but not everybody does what we want them to all of the time.
You have to right to hypermile as much as you'd like. I hypermile my arse off on the way to work at 5:30 AM. On the way home, I still do my share of P&Ging, but, I keep an eye in the mirror and modify this behavior when if it means I will hold people up behind me. It is just plain common courtesy. Well, it should be common, anyway.