View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mulder25
EcoModding Lurker

F.O.R.D - '87 Dodge Dakota LE

Failure - '01 Toyota Corolla CE

Aveo - '07 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 36.87 mpg (US)
I dont have cruise control - I would gladly take a 3MPG loss to have it. I know just about 10,000 members want to shoot me for saying that, but i have a 38 mile commute each way to work, i get very little sleep, and having cruise control means one less thing i have to focus on. I have fallen asleep a couple times driving, the cut-thingys on the shoulder always wake me, but its pretty scary. With cruise control, i could reduce one of the monotonous things i have to deal with. After ten years, a 3MPG loss, assuming only traveling to and from work, nothing else, would cost an extra 31 gallons per year, but its worth it to stay alive.
I have been actively looking for cruise control, but aftermarket options are severely limited. Could anyone suggest one?
If cruise utilizes this ease-off technique euromodder mentioned, that should actually yield a higher MPG, but i do know that cruise control will result in a lower economy than an experienced ecomodder. I would like to consider myself moderately experienced, as i employ as many techniques as possible, and take care of my equipment very well.