View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
So sue me... I want a $25,000 steering wheel, too.
The last I heard the steering wheels were more like $50K. I was hilarious seeing Mercedes' engineers all cringe when Schumacher threw his steering wheel after crashing a few rounds back.

Racing where there is very few rules becomes quite boring. With traction control, ABS and bullet proof tires, you may as well watch a bunch of robots racing around the track. The team with the highest paid electronics engineers wins. This is the reason why MotoGP racing has become so dull. Just past the apex, Stoner & Lorenzo are full throttle with their bikes at over 50 degrees lean angle and the electronics sort out the rest. The real skill is transferred to the electronics engineer.

F1 sacked ABS and traction control. Tires became purposefully flawed. Teams are limited to eight engines per year so they cannot flog them 100% at all times. There is a ridiculous amount of strategy required to win. Nobody was watching F1 and now they are. In the end, it's all about money, and you cannot make money when nobody is watching.