View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
SoobieOut
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
I live in Belgium, and this is diesel-territory with the majority of new cars being diesels.

The MPG numbers of the current crop of efficient diesels may seem wildly attractive, there are also serious downsides.

One is cost - both purchase and maintenance.

Another is complexity, and it's directly related to cost.
These are no longer DIY engines once you get beyond swapping fluids and filters.
We're up to the point that the dealers themselves can't fix the issues with the cars' emission treatments systems anymore.

Next up, the emissions themselves.
NOx is a serious issue.
So far, diesels still score far worse on NOx than petrol engines.
Soot particles, the next serious issue.
We got diesel particulate filters (DPF) to cure that, right ?
Wrong.
Current research points out that the current soot filters are actually making things worse.
While you won't see any black smoke out the tailpipe, and the problem seems to have gone, it has actually become worse as the regeneration process doesn't obliterate the soot-particles stuck in the DPF. It makes them smaller, invisible to the human eye, and also invisible to the testing equipment used for the tests.
Using more sensitive equipment shows the problem isn't gone, only reduced in particulate size.
These small particles go even deeper into everyone's lungs .

Diesel, I'm afraid, is not the magical solution.

I saw in the news that the World Health Organization (WHO) has classified diesel engine exhaust as carcinogenic to humans and could cause lung cancer.

WHO declares diesel a carcinogen - South Africa | Moneyweb

This will really put a damper on the diesel automobile, i think there is no alternative to heavy load trucks right now, but with Hybrids, Electric and CNG there are alternatives to diesel cars.

This will be another hit to the Euro economy if they ban diesel autos.