View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
minispeed
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
For the two sizes you listed I would stick with the 215/60/17 for the narrower footprint and comfort.

BestMPG = Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
Best Traction and value = Continental ProContact with EcoPlus
GoodMPG and traction and value = Yokohama AVID Ascend

The jury is out on the Defender because no one has them yet so we don't know how well they do for mpg.

Make sure you consider price and treadwear warranty when looking for tires. Sometimes a high mpg tire suffers a low treadwear which may make it cost more to run than say a tire with a little less mpg but much higher treadwear. The Ecopia EP100 and the AVID Ascend are good examples of this.

Some great LRR tires do suffer from worse traction or handling but not all. The Energy Saver A/S offers stellar mpg but poor handling and ok traction. The AVID Ascend and ProContact with EcoPlus offers less mpg (but more than a non- LRR tire) but better handling and traction in the wet. I have run or had direct experience with the above tires. I chose the Energy Saver A/S for total economy but if it wasn't available I would have stuck with the Ascend or the EP422.
Thanks for the feedback, especially on the ProContact since that is probably my current new LRR choice if I go that way. The Energy Saver AS was what I tried to get on my prius, but with supply issues and a deal on a used wheel/tire set of green x MXV4 @85% I couldn't beat the deal. However acording to tire rack it isn't in any sizes for my car. The thing I don't like about the Yoko Avid, it's heavy, 28lbs in the 225.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
If FE matters, I wouldn't upgrade to 17" rims, nor go any wider than stock.

The results regarding FE when going for oversized tyres are a bit hit and miss.
If you go for a larger diameter, don't overdo it, and don't do it using metal instead of rubber.
I always run winter/summer combos and the stock rims are already going to be put to winter use so I have to buy new rims regardless. I had great experience on my miata going 8% over size and seeing a 15% increase. The thing I noticed the most was the amount of time I could EOC. I wish I could find the link now but when I bought my mountain bike I did a lot of research on 26in vs 29in tires and there was a lot of interesting info on angle of attack and coasting. I really noticed it when ridding the two back to back so I'm convinced that a larger diameter can show benefits. I won't be going that much oversize on this car because I also plan on lowering it. I'm a little worried that even the 2.65% of the 215 60 17 may be too much which is why I'm leaning towards 225 55.

I won't be going any larger than 17, even though the look of 18 is nice there are 0 advantages to the 18in tires over the 17 but there is the possibility of advantages for 17 over 16 that I think is enough to offset the weight.