View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
I would think that wind might be useful for that when there is cloudy day, but your planned solar air heaters might be hugely better when sun is shining, so much better that wind power might be very little of help.
For insulation my choice is rockwool, 200mm thickness at minimum, also if you put solar air heaters, make sure ducting is insulated as well and that there are some kind of valves that don't loose heat, so that heat stays where meant.
If you could put argon and sand to heat storage unit it would make best heat storage that currently is, from my memory it was tested to keep heat stored for year without much of losses and being one of least expensive of large energy storage systems.

You would need some kind of mast/tower to get turbine up into wind, that is what has kept me away from wind turbine building as here trees are around me and I would need to get turbine to somewhere 30 meters high, which then would require quite a bit of strength from support structure.

One problem with wind turbines is startup speed, setup you describe can have rather large torque requirement to overcome standing friction and that would cause turbine not to start unless there is enough strong gust, this is what I found to be reality with my prototype of Savonius rotor setup, bearing was freely moving but only when moving, I could not find enough strong gusts to get it start up, but when I helped with hand it did rotate well in wind as long as there was wind.
Just some point that I have rarely been mentioned.

With wind, you don't get much of torque, with Savonius you get more torque but even that is rather small amount, so generally you can get more out from wind by aiming to higher rpm with little restriction.

One good feature might be such that rotor spins freely until at certain speed when generator activates, so it could get started and momentum keeps it going after that even wind would be rather low at times, this would help with issue of rotor not spinning at low winds because generator resistance.

Your location says Vancouver Island, I guess you get good strong winds there? There are some calculators around the internet that can give you wattage of how much wind has energy at different speed, then you can estimate what amount of energy you get from wind with blade efficiency, generator efficiency and so on taken account to, it will not be easy to get 1000 watts with 10ft diameter, my memory tells me that at very strong winds with really good efficiency one might get 1000W with 10ft blade diameter, however it is long time since I did research the stuff. Idea I remember is however that biggest blades that you can put and bit bigger would be good goal

At very low wind speeds smaller might be bit better, but then again Savonius or other similar to that is better when there is little wind, however little wind would be little power and those will not make 1000W at low wind unless one has really lot of them. However I guess you don't need to wrestle with that dilemma, which is here at middle of the forests quite limiting factor, there are handful of days with good amount of wind.

There are many hurdles, but turbine is worth to build if you have wind, it could be used for electricity too if heating proves to be little use, some extra wires and few batteries, LED lights could be run for really long time with such power capacity. Project does sound interesting.