View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey442 View Post
No matter what method you use your still going to have throttle losses when creating a vacume.
You're describing pumping loss. And, yes, vacuum creation will always be associated with pumping loss.

What I'm trying to describe is this:

Note the circled part, which shows nice, pretty eddy currents right behind the partly opened throttle plate. That happens because a vacuum is being generated, and is in addition to pumping loss. The stuff that I've circled is what I'm trying to minimize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
There have been some good ideas bantered like cylinder deactivation, some not mentioned but discussed before like reducing RPM through gearing, introducing inert material to create additional pressure (EGR or water) or running lean.
Sure. All of these will reduce pumping loss, and will likely reduce throttling loss as well. However, I am primarily focusing on reducing throttling loss right at the throttle body.

Quote:
You can get a similar effect to what you seek by advancing your intake lobe on the cam but this is only good if your CR is not already relatively high (as you are moving the opposite of Atkinson effect).
What would that do for exhaust? I can't advance the intake lobes by themselves. The truck engine is a SOHC design.

Quote:
I think a smaller intake plenum would also have a similar effect.
That's not really possible without spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars into having a custom, one-off intake manifold fabricated. All sorts of things have to be taken into consideration: airflow into the individual runners, interaction between cylinders, effects of different engine speeds on airflow.... Not something I want to focus on, right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I didn't mean CV, I meant the ones that have a direct action sliding throat valve, like older Honda quads.
Something like this?