View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #169 (permalink)
steffen707
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsemple View Post
So there is a relay under the hood of my car called "ECU", is it ok to interupt this relay like you said via the "black ground wire", or amy I thinking of the wrong system ?

Thanks again for your help.

Also, second question, why don't people just interupt the wires leading to the ignition on the steering wheel? I had a look at them they are fairly heavy guage, but with a big enough relay and long wire, it could be done.
Oh boy, first I suggest getting a manual for your car from an auto parts store, or download the actual factory manual online in pdf format.

The relay you want isn't under the hood, and its not called an "ecu" relay, the ecu stands for engine control unit, often called ECM or engine control module. Its the brains that run the engine and have every sensor hooked up to it.

The relay you want is called the "main relay", and its either on the driver or passenger side of the car up by the dash. On 88-91 civics it was on the driver side, on my 97 civic its on the passenger side. Not sure about 93s though.

You don't want to cut the ignition wires because the car will still inject gas into the engine, although briefly I suspect. Also you don't want to cut those wires because they are big, its more complicated to run a huge relay and wires to shut the car off this way.

its much easier to inturrupt the black ground wire of the main relay.
The Following User Says Thank You to steffen707 For This Useful Post:
lsemple (06-19-2012)