View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Overinflating duals on my RV.

I have a '90 Toyota Odyssey MH.

The recommended tire is the 185R14D. The D signifies that it has a higher load rating. I also believe it means it is 8 ply. I currently have 195/75/14s on the rear. I believe they have a C rating, meaning they are "light truck" tires.

These tires are in quite good condition. Little tread wear, no cracking from age. I will replace them with the proper D rated tire eventually, but my inner cheap SOB just won't let me throw away tires that look to have a decent amount of life remaining.

From reading on Toyota MH web sites, I have found that the biggest problem with the tire I have on there now is that if you allow the pressure to drop much at all, the duals will start rubbing together. This generates heat and eventually tire failure. In addition to monitoring pressure religiously, I was thinking about bumping them up, maybe 10 lbs. Will this cause any trouble? It should help with the potential rubbing issue. I am more concerned about possible blowouts. I am not so worried about wear, as the limiting factor on RV tires tends to be age ,anyway. They simply aren't driven enough.

Another thought was the pressure monitoring valve stem caps. Are they any good? Are they expensive? Seems like they would be good insurance.