View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
ecomodded
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I have looked into the Savonius turbine design, it has gathered a lot of bad press, for reasons mentioned by Ryland. I "read" that the Savonius design has been sold to buyers based on its interesting "break through" design.
It sells on its looks but fails on its performance is a repeated theme i have been finding.
Which is unfortunate as it would be less obtrusive & easier to mount, and looks cutting edge. Could be you need to make it really large to work?

The water pump for Geo thermal sounds interesting, I could see making a air-conditioner fairly easy, if i could get to the water. I know my hillside has water under it, but how deep who knows. I could see pumping it up then running it threw a car radiator with a fan blowing threw it.
For the heat i have no clue how to do it on the cheap? any ideas?

I do have wind,Perfect sailboat weather year round. I live at the end of a 20 mile inlet where it blows one direction in winter and changes to the opposite direction for summer.
I am going to check with my city hall to check for any permits that i may need. Using the electric for battery charging may come into play.
The Solar heaters are going to be made in my back yard and in my front yard, back yard first. I still have to work out the heat storage space required for my system. I can get free rock, stone, gravel, boulders so making a large insulated box is half the expense, I can buy most of those supplies from a used building supply outlet near-by.
The Rockwool insulating is interesting, i will have look into its properties & R value, it may well be suited for one of the layers of insulation.
My idea for the box so far is making a plywood box from 5 pieces of plywood , four sides with one cut in half for the ends.
Sit the 4x8 box on 4" of rigid panel insulation that has been half covered with cement, cover the out side & inside of the box with the rigid insulation.
Lay drainage pipe for the air inlet and pipe along the bottom of the box to distribute the inlet air for circulation. The outlet will be on the top middle with more drainage pipe inside to capture heat from all areas of the box.
Wrap it in plastic then stucco wire and more concrete and a sealer.