View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Sorry, did you mean Insight or Smart car? Those links are fairly out of date, a lot has changed since '99. Back then for example, to ship stuff south it was supposed to have the door VIN sticker in place, so if a car had been in an accident and the door had been replaced, or the sticker was gone for some other reason, it was pretty much not going south. I don't think anyone does the emissions decals anymore, but it should also say that that letter from the manufacturer has to state that the vehicle has had all outstanding recalls performed on it as well. When a dealer ships south, the speedometer / odometer is supposed to be converted into miles, thought I don't know if a private buyer has to do that. There are a lot of rules, and if you want to make sure about the legallity of a certain make/model, there are companies around that do vehicle exportation for car dealers (high volume in other words), they will be able to tell you if the vehicle you want will be possible to import. I don't know this company, but it looks to be what they do. Even just reading over their site might be helpful. Cross Border Solutions