View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #119 (permalink)
fritz
EcoModding Lurker

Don't get me wrong I'm rooting for you to succeed here but

According to those numbers the gearing in the 1st gen hf is with the correct tranny is 14% lower than the 88 federal 2nd gen hf. So as a stock one it should run at 1850*1.14 or 2109 rpms at 55 mph. The dx tranny would be more like 2600 rpm at 55mph. If the final reduction from the 88 federal could be put in the 1st gen that would get you there.

So I guess you would need to oversize your tires to get it up to what you want. The biggest worry would be that you would have to go an inch bigger in diameter per every 4% in raised gearing so you would end up having a car that is 1.5" taller to raise the gearing. But I suppose if you lowered the car a couple of inches that would make up for the drag. If you used HX rims you could go with the low rr sumitomo htr 200s in a 175/70-14 which would be 7% taller than the stock 165/70-13s that were the originals. That ought to get you down to around 1950 at 55.

Anyway keep up the good work. I'm going to butt out now but will be watching your progress. Don't be to discouraged in your first results. It looks to me that the real gains are in the rear and the underside of the car judging from basjoos's ride