View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Hee those would not work. several months in a year I can't see the sun as it stays behind the forest that surrounds me, at the same time temperature can occasionally reach -40F.

That really bugs me as I could easily build solar PV system that would generate all the power I need if there just would be sun, at October sun is useless for anything and at end of March it starts to be useful just a bit, but time between those two points is when we need most of heating and despite my optimizing in heating, there is no way to store enough heat for winter at summer time.

At this time of year, there is 2-3 hours in a day that sun is not up though, if I could put that in a can somehow :P But even now, it is more cloudy than sunny, so can't get much out from the sun.

They were not stupid that did build my house at late 40's, at late March sun is already heating house so that it does cut 2-3 months heating bill, also for summer there is windows and storage areas placed so that there is natural ventilation, constant wind at stairs that cools heat out easily, this all with original sawdust insulation and such.

Near equator there is limitless amount of energy available from my perspective especially when one keeps forests around him there is natural cool, but still one can get huge amount of energy from the sun, living without money could be quite bit easier than here, so I envy such conditions a bit.