View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
SegaSaturn
Toot toot Sonic Warrior

Question Driving tips/good habits for better mpg IN CITY?

Alright, so I'm taking a wild shot and saying most of you guys and gals get your awesome MPG scores because you don't drive ~90% in city...or do you? I live in Manhattan and I do frequent trips out of state but I was just wondering any tips city drivers on Ecomodder may have? 4 out of 7 days of the week, I'm at work.

Driving to work and home from work I take two specific avenues where you can drive at a steady speed as they will continue to turn green after you pass each block (as opposed to lights turning green at the same time, then red at the same time. Manhattan is a very hilly island..eh, City. Going to work, there's a lot of uphills, so i'm usually in 3rd gear going about 35-40mph. On the way home from work, i'm going a steady mix of up and down hills, but usually in 4th gear going about 40mph, a little over 1k rpm. Figured i'd just add that part in.

*For NYC peoples, I take Lexington (used to take 5th but too much traffic beyond 56th street especially due to construction) to go to work, from 112th to 31st and I take 1st ave on the way home (sometimes I take Madison but when I do, I drive in 3rd gear, preparing for the wonderful crazy cabbies. Seriously, driving in this city is always a fun driving adventure). My chariot is a 1997 Saturn SL.*