View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
HilseeJ
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
I'm going to lay down a long post for you because you're new and the questions that you asked here are ones I had in my mind but had to figure out for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSaturn View Post
Alright, so I'm taking a wild shot and saying most of you guys and gals get your awesome MPG scores because you don't drive ~90% in city...or do you?
My driving is 100% city. I drive a honda fit with a manual transmission. NO hardware mods. The only thing I have is a scangauge. I do not have an engine kill switch (yet).

The EPA on my car is 27 mpg in the city. My last tank was 55 mpg.

The only thing that might skew my results is the fact that I delivery drive so maybe 50% of my driving is with the car warmed up. However it's also a lot of on/off and ignition use so you could look at it that way as well.

Quote:
I was just wondering any tips city drivers on Ecomodder may have? 4 out of 7 days of the week, I'm at work.
Everything that mostly anyone can think of is already listed in the two lists under 100+ hypermiling tips/ 60+ ecomods.

I would avoid accelerating briskly. I don't see why anyone would do that. Hell, I was getting about 40 mpg until I slowed my acceleration by 50%.

The main things I use are:

(P&G)Pulse and Glide - accelerating and then shutting off the engine and coasting, then restarting the engine with the clutch (or simply coasting in neutral)

(EOC)Engine Off Coasting - Name is self explanatory

(DFCO)Deceleration Fuel Cut Off - if you engine brake at the right rpms for a certain amount of time, the car will cut off the injectors and stop burning fuel

And the last one I would say is to slow WAAAAY down when you see a red light. If I'm going up to a red light, I will drop down to 15 mph .2 - .5 miles away from the red light with the engine off. This reduces idling as well as opens up the opportunity to possibly save momentum because the light might turn green and you can glide right through it.

Quote:
Hmm, don't idle. So when I come to a red light, do I cut the engine? Seems like that'll be hell on my starter no?
That's my argument exactly. I do not cut my engine at a red light. Not for 10 seconds, not for 30 seconds, not for 60 seconds. I do not not not do that.

However, from the previous threads I've seen this practice is commonplace. It's up to you to decide.

Quote:
I plan on getting an Ultragauge EM to assist.
Spend a little extra money and get the scangauge. This is a one time purchase that you can resell for the same you paid for it if you don't want it anymore. I went without it for a while because I didn't want to spend the money. Then when I got it my gas mileage jumped +12 mpg. Pays for itself. Period. Ignore the looks you get when you tell people how much you paid for it. They're the ones driving like idiots.

Also, this is something you can use for every car you buy until the day you die. Just make sure your car has an OBD-II port.