View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rowe View Post
As far as traffic spacing goes, I did address that elsewhere in the book when I talked about following distances. My opinion on people cutting in is, and pretty well remains...so what? What's going to happen then?
Exactly my feeling when I read that comment. Last week I found myself in a stop and go situation and decided to try traveling at the average speed instead of bumper to bumper to reduce the number of times I come to a complete stop. Rowing through a close-ratio 6-speed gets tedious in stop and go traffic. Some people got annoyed and changed lanes just to get 1 car length ahead, but generally people just followed behind. Not only did I reduce my use of the brakes, but I effectively forced everyone behind me to follow at a constant rate instead of using their brakes. Everyone that followed got better fuel economy because of this.

The bad traffic added 40min to the trip when compared to light traffic (Portland, Oregon). I estimate that allowing myself to be passed added 30 seconds to this time. The lost time is a drop in the bucket when considering the frustration that is relieved by not caring if someone gets in front of you, not to mention the fuel and brake/clutch wear that is saved. I average the same fuel economy in stop and go traffic as I do at constant 70mph freeway travel.

Quote:
As far as the following distances in drafting go: yup. You're right, and no, I didn't get into it. Just going from the Mythbusters test, I believe there was a 26 percent improvement at 100 feet. I was playing with the idea of mentioning it, but I'm kind of avoiding it for a couple of reasons. 1) I wouldn't even have talked about drafting, if it weren't just due process, and 2) since the average person would even react to the truck stopping at 100 feet until 4 feet before they hit it, I thought that might just be setting them up for a harder impact if they are dumb enough to draft. Hit a truck from ten feet away after it brakes, and the speed difference between you and the truck is maybe 5 mph. Hit it from 100 feet (when the truck has had longer to slow down) and the speed differential might be 20 mph or more.

So, if you're going to be close enough to the truck that you'll hit it no matter what, you're better off riding two feet from its bumper than you are 100 feet. So, you can probably see why I didn't get into the distance thing. I'm all for due process and all, but there's no sense in offering any more encouragement than necessary. Know what I mean?
I hadn't even considered that closer following could be safer. Thanks for that perspective!

The tractors in Oregon travel at 60mph. Given the generally accepted 2 second rule, this puts the safe following distance at 176ft. Perhaps there is efficiency to be gained in a relatively safe draft?

I can appreciate your unique perspective having been a driver. You might consider adding the information to the book though, because people will be sure to ask the question "what about drafting further back". They might come to the false conclusion that following 100ft back is safer (I did, and I'm not a dimwit) and adopt that practice. Better to present the full risk/benefit analysis to the audience and let them come to their own conclusions (with the help of a little humorous prodding).

Quote:
Ahhh, vanity...my favorite sin
If all is vanity, is it truly a sin?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!