View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
HilseeJ
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSaturn View Post
how does one calculate THEIR MPG?
I actually don't run through a full tank. I do it by halves.

The method I use:
===
Fill up tank.
Reset trip meter. (if you don't have one then write down your mileage)
Drive around until half tank.
Fill up tank.
Divide miles traveled by gallons that you just pumped in tank.
This is your miles per gallon.
Repeat multiple times to compensate for different pumps and average.
===
My understanding is that the first half of the tank is the most efficient as well as easier on the fuel pump. However, I'm not that mechanically inclined so I'm merely going off of posts made on this forum.

Using the same method above only running through a full tank will still be accurate.

Also realize that this will waiver from pump to pump so getting an average is the ideal thing to do. Some pumps might give a little more fuel before stopping the flow, some a little less.

Obviously topping off will skew the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSaturn View Post
My car, iirc, has a 12.2 gallon tank. At 136403 miles I had 3/4 tank of gas. Now at 1/4 I am at 136530. I know I need to be at a full tank and run it close to empty but I used an online 'calculator' (filling half a tank is 5 gallons) and it showed me 44mpg...is that legitimate? ?
If the online calculator made the assumption that because you were at 3/4 of a tank on your gas gauge you burned 3/4 of 12.2 gallons, then no, it's not legitimate. Same applies if your gas needle was at half and the online calculator assumed that you burned half a tank.

I have traveled 115 miles and my needle was still on FULL 100%.

The method I listed at the beginning of this post is the only fool-proof method I am aware of to get an accurate mpg reading.

Last edited by HilseeJ; 06-24-2012 at 01:42 PM..