View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
grinderdust
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks ecomodded. I am aware that the drive shaft changes speed as the truck speeds up. I am trying to get an idea of the max rpms at highway speed so I can gear down to a safe rpm for the compressor. My plan for the belt is to machine the center out of ribbed pulley, slip it over the shaft and weld, epoxy or clamp it in place. I could use a camshaft pulley off of a honda or similar with the toothed belt if slippage becomes a problem. I think some slippage adds a safety factor if something should fail. I could mount the pulley right on the hub of the transfer case or rear diff if anyone thinks the driveshaft would be affected by the belt tension. I have not seen any working vehicles designed in this way but I really don't see how it could not work. I think that a hybrid using such a simple design would actually be a hard sell in the consumer market. Much like a home remedy, If there is no profit to be made there is little interest among corporations. It just seems like one of those hillbilly things that works great but noone wants on their vehicle. Hypermiling in general seems to fall into that category. Everyone knows you can save fuel but automakers keep making the cars harder to use that way. It's hard to even find a manual trans. these days. 99% of the population just wants to get there in absolute comfort and make a fashion statement.