View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
skyking
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
I wanted to use the template as closely as possible, so I designed a shell with longitudinal ribs. Now to get the shape right
I started by laying a sheet of plywood on the floor and tracing it. There is very little else you can find that is more true and square than a sheet of plywood.

I moved it 4 feet, so I could get a 12' grid drawn.

I moved it a couple more times, ending up with a 6' x 12' grid, on 2' spacing.
I hope to build a tail for the truck and thought I could use the length.
Now I could arrange the sheet of plywood to minimize waste.

Using a printed image of the template, resized to suit my truck, I scaled it to get dimensions at stations, and transfer that onto the sheet. I pulled a tape and also made station lines on the angled plywood.
Now I have marks on the plywood that are 2' apart. I want to draw a smooth curve through these points. I have a fiberglass rod for network wiring, but a 10' stick of 1/2" CPVC pipe will work as well.
I started by clamping the rod at one end over a mark, then bent it across the next and the next, taking time to smooth the curve.

I cut the first one out very carefully with the sabre saw. Since the cut is so close to a rip with the grain, the saw wandered pretty badly.
I got a decent looking curve after a couple of attempts, then used that as a guide. Once again, the sabre saw would not track well.
I ended up setting my cordless circular saw to just barely go through the 3/8" ply, and used it instead.

4 finished curves.

I painted the headache rack with something close off the bomb can shelf.

Installed and bolted in solid.

I clamped a piece of 3/8" ply to the rack, and transfer marked it with a straight edge laid on the cab, and cut it out. It has 1/2" margin for the skin and construction method.

My box lids are one of the challenges. I have to make a door in each side of the shell so I can get into the boxes.

This also makes a big hole in the structure I have to work around.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (06-26-2012), Diesel_Dave (06-25-2012), KamperBob (06-25-2012), slowmover (07-01-2012), t vago (06-25-2012), turbothrush (06-25-2012)