View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
LeanBurn
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
In my car, when I let of the gas a little deceleration fuel cut off occurs instantly. It feels a lot like engine braking in a manual transmission car. At that point scanguage reading shows zero fuel consumption (0.0L/100km) and the car slows until a low speed 35km/hr (22mph) is achieved, at that point then it shows a very low consumption reading 2.0-2.5L/100km (90-100mpg)

Feathering the gas at lower velocities repeats the above activity over and over and results in quite high fuel economy.

In my manual counterparts of the same car, they have confirmed that coasting in gear yields significantly better fuel economy than does putting it into neutral and coasting (EOC would be the only way to beat it IMO). Another point of interest is that the RPM in top gear at 90km/hr (55mph) is higher in the manual than it is in the automatic, so there is some compensation there for those that have automatic transmissions, I suspect there are a lot of cars like that these days. I do know that the deceleration fuel cut off in the 10th gen Corolla is very good.