View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
grinderdust
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Ryland. I have considered using air to help the engine run. Although this may help the engine run and eliminate pumping losses, it requires tampering with the engine and some very technical refinement which I have neither the time or facilities to accomplish. I don't think I can improve the Toyota 22re (worlds best all around gasoline engine?) in my yard. I don't even have a garage. The idea, for me at least, is to limit the use of the engine as much as feasible. In my design, the regen comes before the engine losses and is able to return energy directly to the drivetrain, again before the engine losses eat up most of what is gained. I'm not trying to be smart because I think Rylands Idea has some real merit, especially for some types of engines which I am keeping secret for now.
Here is a link to a very efficient design for an air powered motor that I would love to play around with. Engineair’s Ultra-Efficient Rotary Compressed-Air Motor It seems I am the farthest person on earth from that motor both physically and financially. Does anyone have any Idea where I can get an air motor that would move a light truck on the cheap? I'm guessing 10 or 20hp would be ideal for most situations. I really don't care about super efficiency right now. Just need it average and cheap for proof of concept. I have everything else including a rough Toyota laying here. I would even settle for a design to turn the compressor itself into a motor but I think this would be a compromise. My internet time is limited. Any links or information of relevance would be greatly appreciated.