View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bowser330
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWagon View Post
If I sourced two identical forklift motors (8" or 9", one with twin shafts, siamesed via a coupler. Then ran each with separate motor controllers (OpenRevolt) and seperate 144V battery packs, direct drive to 4.11 gears in a featherweight Datsun PU.

Figure I could get that done for about $4k plus my time for fabrication, and saving up for batteries when the day comes.

Is there a more budget friendly recipe? 11"-13" forklift motors? Is there a bigger OpenRevolt controller in the works?

Looking for 6 second runs to 60, 70 mph top speed, and a 40 mile radius.
totally possible and very cost effective. I would steer away from 8", try to pick a few 9"s or 11"s, clean them up and rebuild them with higher performance parts, advance them so you can run a higher voltage and you should be good to go. pick up two of paul's 1000A controller coming out soon and you will have a rocket.

ive seen people picking up forklift motors for 200$ and rebuilding them for 200$ so 400$ each motor and 600$ each controller = 2000$ for a dual system, not 4000$.

1000A into a standard non-performance 9" forklift motor should be about 220fltbs, so 440fltbs should be plenty to get you a nice 0-60, better than 6 seconds* (*traction dependent)