View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #126 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Wreckers and transmissions

I was told by two different wreckers that the S10 for 91, in a 6 cylinder, was only available as a 4.3l. That matches the internet search I did so I'll accept that for now. I was looking for the maximum torque that the transmission can deal with - it is used by racing guys so the 4.3l engine is definitely NOT stressing the transmission. Depending on the source and some fine details about manufacture date and which vehicle the transmission came from, they seem to take at least 400 foot-lb of torque. I'm expecting less than 240 so there is no problem there.

Neither wrecker that I checked with had a 4x4 manual transmission for a 91 S10. One of them estimated that if he could locate one for me, it would be about $350. I asked about the length of the transmission, then had to explain that I was replacing an automatic. He said the supports would be in the wrong place for the manual. He remembered something about the support being movable, that the frame had holes for both positions but he did nit remember the lengths being different. He had not sold anything for a 91 4x4 S10 in a while, so he was not positive. The movable support is mentioned by a few people online who discuss S10 rebuilds but nothing specific to changing an automatic with a manual gearbox.

The net search mentions that the 4x4 gearbox has a shorter spline to give the transfer case some room, and since the transfer case has the longer spline for the movement on the suspension. Again, nothing specific like measurements. I did verify that the transmission is 26 inches.

The other thing I was searching for is the specs on the transfer case. Again, 400 foot pounds into the transmission with a 4.03:1 first gear puts over 1600 foot pounds out the driven end of the transmission. That's 2, 3 .. maybe 5 times what I can get. I don't think that I have to worry.