View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
MGB=MPG
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
i would like one of those dwyer instruments

Series 2-5000 | Minihelic® II Differential Pressure Gage | Dwyer Instruments
i see i can get a new 0-2 WC for 50$

When i was finished fooling with it in the Automobile it would be very nice on my air handler in the machine room.

this is where i am testing the DIY U Tube Manometer .

i tried inclined both 15 and 30 degrees, UNSAT there is some phenom does not allow the water in the tube to settle evenly ..i sould speculate about that but *why bother*
the vertical U-tube works like a charm measuring system pressure drop . it will be very handy there to assist in Filter Change decisions .
My system has been icing up lately and me and the HVAC tech been hassling about that .
Brand new trane 4ton with a 2 stage scroll compressor and a variable speed blower . when its in Eco-mode the scroll only runs at abt 66 % and the blower moves very little air. but when it ramps up i think it moves [or supposed to] 1800 CFM .HVAC Tech was blaming my coil ice up on my prefilters and filters. not the case i think and now i have a *proper * measuring device to substantiate my contention.
wit filter out and filter door open and the machine ramped up the pressure drop through the heat exchanger seemed excessive to me ,

i am told usual system design is 500 FPM on the filter Face and a pressure drop of .5 INH20 or WG.. im running twice that. even with the filter door standing open. ..

at any rate on to a portable one , i see theoretical dynamic pressure is 1 INH20 at 55 MPH , i sure can draw an inch on a card and hold the needle on *Double Nickle * I need a rider to read the card then ill run up to the next Even point ..78 MPH for 2 INH2o

If i get readings ill check the rest of the induction, especially pressure drop through my induction air filter ..
if i seem to get readings there ,
[not too awful accurate with a water U-tube. i cant draw lines on a card to .1 inch much less read them .
ill spring for the Dwyer
and record . if i can find a rider to read the gauge
ciao.