View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Ang84Indy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The average american consumer was TAUGHT stupidity over the generations by auto manufacturers, the old trucks did not have huge horsepower and were purpose built.

If anyone would avertise to the virutues of saving money,not needing more power we could slowly relearn society but it might take the next 100years just as it took roughly 70 years to teach us to be wastefull pigs.

The thing I have always wished for was that the auto company would make their designs modular enough that you could (god forbid) special order whatever motor you want for a fee.

Example, If I want a Volt with a 1ltr euro motor it should be on the options list, if I want a 350 v8, put it on the options list but for gods sake at least offer it!

It can't cost that much to install a cookie cutter bolt up motor with the same mounting patterns from one of their "other" divisions.
The main reason manufacturers don't offer any engine the consumer wants is that they have to crash test every drivetrain combination. With multiple tests (front, rear, side, etc.) the amount of cars and money it takes adds up.