View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

It really is frustrating that the automakers can't/won't build a wider variety of vehicles.

There are a number of reasons for it, but, in the end, the blame lies, IMO on the government/big manufacturer collusion.

The government makes it very difficult to bring a vehicle to market. They site safety/emissions.

That is the biggest crock of sheeeet ever.

If they those were the only concerns, they'd have us all drive mid-sized sedans with about 80 hp and a top speed of 65 mph. How can they say cars must be safe, then allow Chevy to build and sell a 600 hp Corvette to anyone that can write the check? And an Excursion may put fewer ppm of various substances into the are, but are you going to try and tell me that it puts less stuff into the air than a small vehicle with an engine that doesn't quite meet standards?

The whole thing is so freaking ridiculous, it's laughable.

When I look at what the rest of the world has available to consumers, it really pisses me off.

Our system is designed with one purpose in mind. To make it so that newcomers can't get into the game.

I'm not saying do away with regs, but, make them sensible. We should have emission standards based more on total pollutants than PPM numbers that simply tell a manufacturr they may spew as much crap as they like, just dilute it. And you dilute it with a bigger engine that burns more. As for crash standards I would establish standards and tell manufacturers they are free to meet/not meet them, so long as there is full disclosure to the public.