View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Frankencar
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
Besides the grill block and belly pan, you could make some small fairings to put in front of each wheel/tire to guide the airflow around them. Maybe a rear wheel skirt too...
Probably not going to do wheel skirts - or if i do, something tasteful and easily removable, but the small fairings in front of each wheel could be discreet and would probably make a big difference. Te wheels are very much out in the wind on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
While Frankencar indicated his desire to keeping the car looking as "factory" as possible, his MPG success leads one to wonder what would be the (MPG) result if one took an old VW, transplanted in the diesel and gave it the full "basjoos" treatment.

Not a TDI, but a VW soon-to-be-diesel with the full Aero stuff - I bet it will get crazy good MPG! http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post263738

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
I had a 92 turbo diesel (not eco diesel) and it would get 5.2L/100kms (45mpgUS) all day long with only cruise used on the highway, I didn't know about aero at all back then. I got ~4.3L/100km (55mpgUS) a few times on some long summer trips when there was no wind. Good car for fuel economy, I was always seeming to tinker with it trying to get it not not run too hot.
Some IDI's run hot - not sure exactly why. My TDI tends to run very cold. On cold days (and I'm talking below 55 F! ) I can't ever get it up to temp. I will definitely need to get a grill block done before the summer is over. My current project is to get a complete new suspension in it with bigger brakes to help slow this thing down and it will be getting some LRR tires and the belly pan while I'm under there. I'm trying to get it all in before my road trip to Colorado this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankencar For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (06-30-2012)