View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
james.lafrance
EcoModding Lurker

SW2 - '97 Saturn SW2

Metro - '94 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
It probably does have a lot to do with how well the oil is treated beforehand, but now it's sounding more and more like the same amount of effort as brewing biodiesel, which (provided that's done right) the ALH series of TDI engines (which would be found in the 2001 Jetta TDI) can handle without any modifications at all.
hmmm... i might disagree a little about it being almost as much work as biodiesel. adding a 'dryer' and a 'centrifuge' to the parts list of WVO is a little chunk of change (free-$250 for a water heater plus stainless peices, then any where from 100-$1500 for a centrifuge) BUT still no chemicals and titration tests, etc..... as well the centrifuge could be used to recyle used motor oil to put back in the engine (if you believe in changing engine oil) as well as tranny, and even WVO to fry another day.

the ALH series can handle 'biodeiesl' fine? is that what your saying? if so id agree with that. now that you mention it, that's one of the initial reasons i was doing bio-diesel first. just pour and go... but found out it is a mute point with the older engines that can handle different oils w/o problems.

does anyone have links, vids, books, something that pertains to TDI failures and possibly successes?

my goal right now is to contact folks who've done anytype of OIL (--un-refined into a distilate, ie wvo, svo, wmo, etc...--) vehicle project in/on a TDI(or similar engine) and find out a few things. first thing id' like to know is: was the oil completely clean? (2) was your oil 100% dried? those 2 questions are very important factors that I need answers to b4 i even consider it as a non-possibility. -diffinative, proofable answers.

any hombrewers know the price per gallon that they are producing biodiesel at, as of recently?

TDI stands for -turbo diesel- is that correct? perhaps i just need to study the modern diesel engine a bit more.

thanks again folks!