View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi Dave,

What is the angle of view on your video camera? On mine, it is well over 120 degrees, which is good for eliminating blind spots, but it shrinks the relative size of vehicles, making it harder to judge distance. I think that 90-100 degrees would be about ideal.

Is the camera 4:3 aspect ratio? I happened into an interesting tweak: the 7" monitors I'm using are 16:10 and they have a manual switch toggling between 4:3 and 16:10, and by using the wide aspect, it "re-expands" the width of the image a bit, making the fisheye / barrel distortion less pronounced on the horizontal axis, anyway. This makes the vehicle behind me slightly more to scale.

Depending on the location of the monitor, I also found that at night they are reflected on the windshield. You probably have avoided this by placing the monitor where you have. If it could be installed up at the top of the 'A' pillar, that would alleviate the need for a hood, and avoid any reflections at night. (Inexpensive LCD monitors have low contrast ratios and "leak" a fair bit of light that is visible at night. My first set were bad, and the second set are better at this.)

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/