View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I agree, vacuum leaks in a manifold can be the source of real problems. These manifolds are aluminum bases, bolted to the engine, with a rubber portion that was glued or vulcanized to the aluminum, that completely enveloped the aluminum base and attached to the carburetor with a clamp. The other end of the carburetor is clamped to a molded hose that fits to the air cleaner housing. Even with the bonding partially separated the mechanical connections still hold the carb in place and the design means any vacuum works like chinese handcuffs to prevent external air from entering the engine. The spark plug looks fine and I feel no indication of lean stumble. I had the other side rebonded after glass bead blasting the aluminum base and cleaning the rubber with lacquer thinner, then using urethane structural windshield adhesive.

If it holes the piston, then I will just have to get another engine and I know where one is sitiing right now with less thna 6 k miles. If I thought it was a serious issue I would fix it now, but I feel it will be fine until cold weather comes abck this fall. Until then I am going to work of the 87 Rebel and sell the Kawasaki Vulcan. Who knows what other project I might pick up.

regards
Mech