View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
1986 Jetta Carbonfiber whaletail

I am going to make a rear aerodynamic device to replace the coroplast partial Kamm tail. It was ugly. I have been driving the car without the cover since the last fill. It made the car quieter and cooler in the summer.

If any of you remember the Merkur from the 80's it is going to resemble it.
I made a drawing to show something on how it might look.

The lower wing is going be trunk mounted and will be positioned to fit under the top wing when the trunk opens and will extend a bit behind the rear of the trunk lid.

The lower wing was molded off of the trunk lid as a wet layup. The drill was to cover the trunk lid with duct tape as a mold release, spray glue the first layer down paint on the epoxy and cover it with a peel ply, a second layer was added to the first after removing the peel ply from the still green first layup. It is made from carbon fiber about 40oz.

Here is the layup after 15 hours.

The peel ply was removed. I may put on a layer of filler before I remove it from the trunk lid.

I plan on making arms to lift it the required 8" or so.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-02-2012), BamZipPow (07-13-2012), mcrews (07-12-2012)