View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Depends on what exactly you consider a "mild" hybrid. If the 1st gen Insight fits, there is a heck of a lot of real-world experience (some of it mine) proving you wrong.

But to the topic, a hybrid probably is less efficient than a pure ICE of the same size.
The Insight-I is in a class by itself - 2-seater, great aero, etc. - and can't be easily compared to any other car, except an Insight-I with the hybridization turned off. MetroMPG is driving one of those and is getting milage comparable to "healthy" Insights with hybrid drive.

It would be better to compare two similar cars with different (hybrid and non-hybrid) drivetrains. For example, the Civic, only the non-hybrid version should also get the goodies from the hybrid (rear lip spoiler, lower suspension, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The point is that with the hybrid you can downsize the ICE, using one which by itself would barely allow the car to get out of its own way.
The problem is that in many cases the electric engine is just an addition to the ICE, without downsizing. Take the Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 for example: the ICE is a 2 liter turbodiesel with 120 kW/163 bhp, which is probably more than enough already, plus a 27 kW/37 bhp electric engine to make flooring it even more fun

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread