View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
More and more cars are going to electric power steering... you really have to get out and drive a few EV's and see how nice they really are to drive before making blanket statements about how poor they handle because no one has figured out how to make them work right!
As far as I know, the only electric steering car I have driven is a Honda CRV. I wasn't told it had electric steering, and I didn't even know such a thing existed, but I was certain the car had electric steering because it felt just like a cheep force feedback steering wheel I have for playing Grand Turismo 5 (video game). It felt notchy, like turning a stepper motor, and gave zero feedback from the road. The driving felt very disconnected and reduced confidence. I wanted to steer somewhere in-between the notches that the wheel settled into.

If the CRV were mine, I'd likely disconnect the fuse to the power steering system. I'm not writing off all electric power steering as it's possible I've driven other vehicles with it and not even noticed, but the CRV steering is unacceptable.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
MPGranger (07-03-2012)