View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I think the issue becomes one of pattern making and durability. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to enlist a Chinese factory to be able to produce it. The problem becomes that you would have to mass market it. To make the first one would cost $10,000 or more, but each one after that would be $15. Then you get into each model of car requiring a custom shape, so you'd be chasing your tail trying to market to all the different models so it would be an enormous initial investment.

It's what keeps me from trying. And I don't think they make "Do It Yourself" Inflatables. I was watching a TV show about a company that makes those inflatable dinosaurs & such and it was a Very involved process to engineer those....and all they do is wave in the wind at passing cars, with a blower keeping air pumped in continuously. And they are very expensive. So engineering something to sit on the back of a car over 4 to 5 years through night and day and up to 120MPH air speeds (70 into a 50 MPH gust, not too uncommon) and not deflate very often would require a fairly serious amount of quality in materials and design.

I'm not saying you can't do it, it would just require 10 to 20 times the amount of time, effort, and money that it would eventually end up saving you. The cost benefit analysis just eats your lunch right in front of you.