Thread: Hello from NC
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
2006Corvette
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from NC

Hello, I'm Will and I'm 25 from NC. I was reading a lot of posts here so I figured I'd join in and contribute. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't use my yahoo email (had to make a new email just to join this forum) but at least I'm here now lol.

I bought a nice little 5 speed Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe. I'm getting just about 40mpg with mainly highway driving and about 32mpg when I mix in a lot of city/stop and go. The only modifications to the car are very lightweight 13" american racing light alloy wheels with 175 70 13 tires and a lighter aftermarket muffler with better air flow. I figure these minor mods have helped a little (stock curb weight is 2190 lbs) I'm not sure where I'll go next as far as making the car lighter/more fuel efficient but I'm sure this forum will give me some good ideas.

I've owned many cars over the years from high maintenance top of the line luxury sedans like the S class Mercedes and LS series Lexus, to sharp handling Porsches, all the way to powerhouses like the new C6 Corvette so I almost consider myself a well rounded luxury/performance car enthusiast.

The only kinds of cars I haven't owned were small economy cars. I will be honest I used to ridicule most underpowered cars. The other few forums I was at on previously it was completely normal to bash the toyota prius/owners just for the hell of it. However now I see the beauty of these gas savers (at least most of them). Low maintenance and high MPG. The Mirage DE I have is actually a fun little car to drive and throw around into corners. It's almost like a little street legal golf cart that has power steering and cold A/C.

I don't think I'll go to the extremes that some members have gone to on here with getting greater MPG since I'm more of a form over function kind of guy but if it's an easy/cosmetically friendly mod i will likely be up for it. I've read the 65+ efficiency tips and 100+ hypermiling tips already and that's been a good help to understanding the 'big picture'.

Anyway I did attach pictures of my car but it said that I need 5 posts or more. Eventually I'll have pictures up, lol.