View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #131 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Video Game, simulator, and testing

Back at posting 80 I started to describe my test bench, and how I was planning to pre-test my PLC code, some wiring, and fake some inputs to have a rack of equipment and a few analog meters work like I hope the dash on SalvageS10 eventually will work. That description continued in postings 87, 90, 91 and 99.

I explained the datalogging format that I am using, and that the Arduino is logging to a CSV file. But I never explained HOW the simulator works. I'm quite proud of it, so I don't know why I have not explained that up til now.

I'll start the next post with the details. Here's the overview:

The simulation needs to set many inputs (safety stops, brake pedal, throttle, battery voltage) and outputs (speed to VFD, brake lights, gauges) to establish or initialize the scenario that you want to test

The simulation must sequence through steps, changing inputs or outputs as required

The simulation must be flexible enough to test problems, like a brake failure

The simulation information needs to be entered by a human (me) so it needs to be readable and fairly simple to set up. I do not consider this interface 'user friendly' ... in fact, it's more like 'user hostile' ... but it works for me and it was pretty quick to write up