View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Now to the project itself, from nose to tail:

I think the front of a 1964 "shortnose" seems to be quite well-shaped for good performance, at least the upper side. Everything is nicely rounded. The front wheels are placed quite deep into the body so the wheel arches can probably be covered a lot more. The big nose-job question is what to do with the air that wants to go UNDER the car?

Sven7, you mentioned "front air dam", please explain! I just read about something called a splitter, -a horizontal sharp "sword" that prevents the air hit by the front from going under the car while the air below the splitter continues to pass under the car without changing the air pressure or introducing to much turbulence.

The belly of a Saab 96 is nice and flat. The last part is actually shaped a bit like diffuser but I´m sure there are room for improvements. On a two-stroke body the entire engine compartement is covered with a smooth floor. The only imperfection is the first muffler placed just behind/below the front bumper, but that can easily be covered as well as the "hole" where the rear axle is located.

The question about what to do with the air that passes UNDER the car worries me a lot more than how to shape the rest of the body. I guess the worst thing I can do here is a modification that will push more air under the car.