View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
agent00kevin
EcoModding Lurker

1997 S10: Project 35mpg

Hi everyone, Im new here but have been slowly modding my way to 35mpg from a 1997 s10. I use it for work and I have to travel anywhere from 500 miles per week on up. Normal weeks range 800-1000 miles, per week. One can see a need for fuel efficiency in my position.

I also need to haul around roughly 500lbs of equipment, including a wheelbarrow and a large case containing a Nuclear Densometer. This case wont fit in the trunk of most cars (that are efficient that is) and it is illegal to transport it in the passenger cabin.

So, I MUST have a pickup truck, and MUST haul extra weight.

The truck:

1997 S10 Ext Cab Short Bed 2.2L Engine 5sp Manual

The Mods:

Valvoline 5w30 Full Synthetic Oil
Prolong Super Lubricant
Modded Air Intake
Performance CAT
Accel DIS Super Coils
Accel 300+ Thundersport Wires
Autolite Platinum Plugs
Blazer frontend Swap

The Blazer front swap is an Aero Mod; the OE grill/headlight setup had the headlights recessed, like bowls that just caught air as I drove. The Blazer Composites are smooth and follow the contour of the truck, flush with the sides of the grill.

The rest of the Mods are basic, outside of the Accel Coils. I put the coils on in hopes of a more efficient, complete burn of the fuel. Synthetic Oil and Prolong were to reduce internal friction. The plugs and wires were to transfer the improved spark. Lastly, the air intake/cat was to reduce effort required for the engine to breathe. Also, the old cat rattled and was done for.

I bought the truck in Feb 2012. Initially, I drove it as I bought it for a few tanks. I go through tanks of fuel quick, so it wasnt long before I had a good average MPG calculation: 25-26mpg.

Next was the obvious: the oil change. New synthetic oil and Prolong put me into the 26-27mpg range.

The CAT didnt show much of an improvement, maybe a fraction of a MPG - but the old was was fried, so it got replaced with a high flow CAT. I still have not replaced the muffler, which may be a reason the increase was minimal.

Next I did the air intake and DIS coils, which resulted in another increse. I consistently get 28-29mpg now. The air intake was a very light Mod - just a cone filter on the stock air intake setup. Today I finished it by removing all of the old ducting and replacing it with lightweight aluminum duct. That also got rig of the sound deadener that goes over the radiator shroud. (and increased the effort required to pressurize and maintain air pressur in the system)

So after a few very basic mods, Ive gained 3-4mpg.

Not bad, and 29mpg isnt bad for a loaded pickup truck.

I do have a few things working against me: The truck is an Ext cab, resulting in 4:10 rear ratio. Not good for economy. Theres also the added weight. Its also got Ac and PS, PB, ABS. All add weight and suck power from the engine.

I dont hypermile, but I do a fair amount of coasting. Any downhill grade I come across I throw it in neutral and coast until such point that the grade is no longer enough to overcome rolling resistance. I tail semis but dont exactly draft them. I just get to a point where I can feel the wind resistance has lessened but am still at a safe enough distance.

Upcoming Mods:

EFan
Cat-back exhaust (no I dont want a fart can)
Header
ECM Upgrade
Underdrive Pulleys

Possibly, an AC delete and aftermarket injectors. I hear there is a brand that does a wonderful job of atomizing the fuel. Also a few more aero mods such as a 2" drop and moonie rims.