View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
TurnNBurn
EcoModding Apprentice

Motorcycle conversion ideas

Hello everyone. This is my first of hopefully many threads here. I need some advice. Working on mechanical things has always been a hobby for me. I've worked on cars/trucks, replaced engines and transmissions, and recently I got a newer truck. Since it's newer I don't want to tinker with it and break anything, so I decided to get another object for my hobby: a 1995 Hobda CBR motorcycle that I originally intended to do an electric conversion on. So in my work area sits a stripped down Honda CBR. I got the bike complete with engine and everything, so I'm trying (but failing) to sell those parts. This is where the problem is.

After doing some in depth research on my goals and weighing the costs, the electric conversion is getting expensive. I originally wanted a bike that could reach 75 MPH and have a range of about 35-45 miles. I'm seeing motors and controllers for those go for $2000+, and even as high as $4000. That's not including the cost of batteries. At that cost, I might as well have just bought a Brammo motorcycle.

So I was thinking and weighing out my decisions. I was considering 2 or 3 cheaper electric motors to run together to ease the load and cost. I've also been considering just rebuilding the original engine. Since nowhere around here will rebuild engines off the bike for a reasonable cost, I thought getting other engines to put in place.

I need some advice guys. I'd like to stick with electric, but the cost of everything doesn't seem like it's worth it. So If not electric, I'd like something simple to fix (I HATE dealing with oil, coolant, and any vehicle fluids. It always gets messy). Which is why I was considering another engine that's possibly air cooled. Should I stick with electric or go with another engine? If I go electric, where can I source some parts that are cheap, efficient, and will reach the 75MPH goal? (I don't need sustained 75MPH speeds for 40 miles. At most I go 10 miles at 75 MPH. Most of the cruising I do is around town.)