View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
agent00kevin
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
of what you mentioned i think dropping the suspension would get you the biggest gains, then i would also be all over doing smooth wheel covers on an s-10, most of thier wheels seem like they would be pretty bad aero wise. then switching to an electric fan, i dont know who at GM decided it would be a good idea to put a regular fan in a truck with a 2.2L.
biggest one i would be against spending money on would be injectors.
Yes! Ive already got the E Fan and its tested. Its a junkyard fan off a Taurus - a popular S10 Mod. Lowering it is sketchy but probably still going to happen as I visit constructions sites in my line of work. Most are rough and unforgiving, but seems like things havent been as bad lately. I think if I keep it reasonable Ill be ok. My rims look like big fans and I happen to like the moonie look anyway, so Ill probably do that. It will probably be a slight weight increase; Ill have to look into what they weigh vs my current rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
35 MPG is a very realistic goal for your truck with the loads you carry.

I got good MPG gains from a grille block and an aero topper.

If your undercarriage is as ugly as mine, then I'd expect even larger gains from an air dam combined with a belly pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
Welcome, I think an aero bed cap would do you well. then some belly pans.
Id like to get an Aero topper evetually but thats something Id want to buy - my fab skills arent so great when it comes to big parts and I dont want the truck to look like crap - I have to be presentable in my line of work.

I agree with the belly pan - its probably one of the things I need most. These truck are nasty underneath as far as aerodynamics go - like all trucks probably are. Im also going to get some black foam and fill in all the gaps in the nose.

I stuck with 35mpg for now because it is, as you said, a reasonable goal. Id like to see 40 but I wont push it too far just yet. I like to set attainable goals and then see where I stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
I had an idea about ecomodding an s10 at a point in time but when time came to buy 1 i fell in love with a different vehicle and never came to getting an s10 to start the build on. I had brainstormed the idea and heres a link to everything i came up with. Some of the ideas are expensive mods others are simple cheap mods and all in between.
S10s arent the best vehicle to start with, but there are worse. The 2.2s dont take to light mods very well when compared to other 4cyls - you just dont get as much bang for your buck out of these as you do many other 4cyls. They do take the high dollar mods better though; turbo, cam, all the big stuff. And a lot of that is probably due to the weight of these trucks - the Ext cabs are fat and have a lot of weight for a light truck.

Looks like you had a good plan all laid out too. I didnt go 5 stages; just three for now. And I kinda combined a bit of everything into each stage...aero, engine, weight control all in phase 1.

I do think you would have done better with an S10 than a Ranger though; the Rangers sit a little higher and dont seem as we designed when it comes to aerodynamics. I did see two old VW diesel trucks for sale here a while back; the guy was claiming 50+ mpg out of them. It was tempting, but they were ugly and rusty and the guy wanted an arm and a leg for them. They also had high miles.

Im mainly doing things that are fairly cheap as Phase 1, then moving on to more expensive/involved things later. I may never even see Phase 3 as thats where the supercharger/turbo comes in, and I might have too many miles on the old girl by the time I get there. We'll see how she holds up with time...Ive got 96,000 miles on her now. Bought her in Feb 2012 with only 84,000 - which is why I want high MPG. 12,000 miles in a mere 5 months is rough.

Pic of my 1st Aeromod