View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent00kevin View Post
Ill have to disagree with you on that point. I do like the look better; no S10s came like that - but eliminating bucket style headlights is an improvement nonetheless. Its not a vast improvement, no, but it is as much of an improvement as removing whip antennas and sealing up body gaps. Until you get into toppers and body pans, body improvements are minor anyway.

Im not going for extreme numbers out of this like many here are - some of the Mods I plan just add power and not economy. Economy is #1, but these trucks are weak too and sometimes you just need some oomph to get into traffic. Im trying to strike a fine balance of appearence, economy, and a little extra power on tap if needed.

You might also note I spend most of my time on the interstate at 55 - 65mph, which is where body mods shine.

I figure a few Mods like the headlights, sealing body gaps and the belly pan would be enough to start. I dont expect to see any real improvement until the body pan comes into play. Several small Mods add up - and it has to start somewhere. headlights were an obvious start.

Its not all about a single mod giving me a 37% increase in economy; its about the big picture. It all adds up, and as a member here, you should know that.
Headlight "buckets" increasing drag is a common misconception. As a member here, I know that. Actually I knew that before I was a member here.