View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Do I have to say it again ?

DIESELS ARE NOT THE SOLUTION

CLEAN DIESELS ARE DIRTY MARKETING

Stay away from modern diesels.
Suprising as it may sound, I'm actually not as hard on "clean diesels" as you might think. The newer ones are much more reliable than when they first came out. I recently read an article in Light & Medium Duty Truck magazine where they did a study of truck fleet reliablity. 2007 MY trucks (first year in the US) were far worse than 2006 and previous, however, by 2010 most of the manufacturers had worked out enough of the issues to statistically bring the reliablility back to pre-2007 levels. Also, the overall FC is not a large hit because of all the other bells and wistles that have been added (VG turbos, common rail fuel injection, etc.).

So, in the end, we got vehicles that are much cleaner and have about the same reliablility and fuel economy, however they do cost a lot more. Also, "deleting" is very prevalent. I put up a poll over at cumminsforum.com. 200+ people responded and 60-70% had removed the emissions equitment--even in areas with inspections. I'm not necessarily saying that's representative of the general truck-driving population, but you still have to wonder.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 07-09-2012 at 09:07 AM..