View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Thanks for great input! I don´t have much photos to post yet and I´m afraid that this project will proceed slowly. Slowly is on the other hand a good way to get time to think! I have many other (more boring) projects with higher priority. The Saab 96 have a special place in my childhood and the last shortnose model from 1964 is what my grandfather used to drive me in. It´s a bit funny that the "flintstone" car I got for free is not only a 1964 but also blue almost like the one my grandfather had.

Because of this sentimental madness I just have to make myself something that not only looks like a 1964 but also sound like one! This means I will install a 850cc three cylinder two-stroke engine, and that is perhaps not so "eco" in any means...
I don´t think I will stick to a two-stroke for very long, but also with such an un-efficient engine it is offcourse possible to make RELATIVE improvments.

I will most likely build my 1974/1964 hybrid in at least two steps. The first step will be quite stock-ish except for attempts to reduce weigth by getting rid of much of the stuff that is nog absolutely necessary. The car will look almost like a standard 1964 without it´s chrome-bling. This will be my reference to start with. From this point I can then add improvements such as a front air dam and a heavily modified tail.

I guess I have to extend the rear about 1m/3ft to get a functional kammback. This modification vill definitely make our dogs happier but will not result in a too bizarre batmobile... BTW, did I mention that I plan to paint the car in black? :-D

I think I have to start a separate thread about fuel optimization of a two-stroker.