View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I read recently (here?) that the exhaust/aftertreatment on a new Dodge Cummins is worth as much, retail, as an entire Hemi replacement longblock plus 545RE transmission, or, about $15k. .
That's correct. I posted about what I read in Diesel Power magazine that the aftertreatment for Cummins' "light duty" 5.0L V8 engine cost as much as Dodge's entire gasoline-based powertrain.

Quote:
Now, to just get them back to early HPCR or LB-7 mpg numbers!! IMO, the stupid horsepower wars are a real part of the problem with 1T pickup mpg numbers. One will note that the 4500/5500 series medium duty trucks are running more sane power numbers.
I definitely agree that the horsepower wars are stupid. Less than 5% of the customers for the diesel pickups (including myself) need anywhere close to the about of power these things put out. The newer diesel pickups are coming out of the factory with hp rating near or over 400 hp. 450 hp ratings are typical for Class 8 trucks for crying out loud!

Quote:
The biggest question is whether the days of 350k B50 life are gone (for the CTD) and whether any of them are genuinely 250k engines any more . . direct injection/turbocharged gasoline is (will) make real inroads in light duty trucks, even at the heavier end of the spectrum.
Supposedly the Cummins 6.7L engine is still advertised at a 350k miles to first overhaul engine. Even with EGR, I'd say that still possible with proper maintenance, but is probably stretching it. All the aftertreatment stuff, however, is definitely not going to last that long. Frankly, I don't see too many owners replacing all that stuff 2-3 times, even if the engine itself is purring along just fine.

Quote:
Reliability is the real issue. DD's truck is, in my mind, a bit like an experimental aircraft: modified to achieve an end somewhat outside the norm, thus no type certification. If reliability is improved, (nay, maintained) then the experiment is a success. Components can always be re-fitted at the proper time, after all.
I'll take the "experimental aircraft" comment as a compliment One thing to note, however, is that in all my mods I've tried not to compromise the capability of my truck to work as it's "intended to" (i.e. heavy towing, etc.). While some things like my grille block, for example, do limit my capability, I can completely turn my truck back to full working capablity in under 30 minutes. Anything that would limit the capability has been made easily reversible.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
slowmover (07-11-2012)