Thread: My Truck
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Brakes are fairly easy to overhaul on a Dodge.

It sounds like you lost a vehicle speed sensor, first of all. The speedo and cruise control rely on this sensor to figure out how fast the truck is going. Odds are that your transmission is sloppy, for the same reason. No vehicle speed sensor = no way the powertrain computer would know when to lock the torque converter up.

However, if your transmission problem is separate from your lack of a vehicle speed sensor, you might could try to find a replacement transmission from a junkyard, instead of paying the $2000 or so to overhaul yours.
Thanks for the reply T Vago. I've replaced the calipers already once, but they just don't seem to like to work for very long. Truck always pulls when under heavy braking. This is the least of my worries at the moment.

I don't know if the speed sensor thing is just a broken wire, or if my tone ring is too damaged for it to work. You see, I had a few bolts let loose in my differential and it did a little damage to my tone ring, which is read by the speed sensor. My guess is a bad connection somewhere. The tranny is bad separate from the sensor issue, but a junkyard pull is a thought. These trucks are notorious for bad trannys though, so I'm hesitant to pull one.

Here you can see a sheared bolt that came almost entirely out, and damaged teeth on the tone ring.

More bolts just sitting in the differential housing.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!