View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

I've been riding and testing my Diesel Motorcycle these last few days and have been measuring the fuel consumption very carefully. (It's a KLR converted to diesel.) I have been running the motor about 85% throttle and am happy to report I've driven it 64 miles on 1/2 gallon of a WVO corn oil/ diesel fuel mixture. I refilled the tank this morning and it took eactly 1/2 gallon and the odometer said it had gone 64 miles since I last filled it.

Since the gas tank on it holds 5.6 gallons I am not able to keep the good news to myself while I ride it over the next 2 months to get an entire tank full of fuel used up.

It has a CV transmission, which at times I like, and other times I want gone. I'm sure if it had a proper 5 or 6 speed manual I could see 150 mpg consistantly. I am convinced the slipping belt on the CV is hurting my mileage. But still, I''ll take 128 miles to the gallon!

The only draw back is I haven't been able to break the 55 mph barrier with the CV belt yet. Even at full throttle it won't break the 55 mph barrier.
I plan to try a different belt and driven pulley to up the speed. Have already been playing with the sprockets to get it to this point. I'm convinced I can get 65 mph out of this thing.

Just think, I have a 7 gallon gas tank in the shop for the KLR, and with it I could travel half way across the country on one tank of fuel.

Last edited by Curtis in Texas; 07-10-2012 at 10:21 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curtis in Texas For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (10-22-2017), TDFbound (11-25-2018)