View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

I've been really thinking about that too. Possibly even before a boatail, i was gonna grill block, windshield wiper deflector and front wheel skirt.

I like the idea of a front hinged design. My biggest issue with top hinged is air getting in the front and not being completely sealed. Maybe it's a non issue? No air getting in the front, and the air moving past sealing the trailing edge to the car. The problem is clearance in a sharp turn. Top hinged is fine, but front hinged has the angle between hinge and wheel to sharp. Been designing several double hinged solutions.

These are my ideas for the frame to be skinned in coroplast in a way that allows it to bend and curve around the frame.

One is double hinged at the front like this:
so it pushes the fairing at a parrelel angle outwards, while the front still deflects air around it.

-----------ooooooooooooooooo
---------o------o-------------
-------o------o--------------
oooooooo---------------

Second is hinged at the front double hinged at the middle:
The middle section folds completely flat when the wheel is not turned, and when turned the middle section allows complete clearance of the rim.

-------------------------------o-----------------------------------------
---------------------------o------o--------------------------------------
-----------------------o--------------o----------------------------------
-------------------o------o------o------o------------------------------
----------------o-------------o-------------o--------------------------
-------------o----------------------------------oo------------------------------
ooooooo---------------------------------------- oooooo-----------------------------------