View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
vtec-e
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Just had a service on my kia today and the serviceman mentioned that my tires were seriously overinflated. Sidewall of 51psi and mine were up to it! He put them back down to 32psi saying that my insurance company would "walk away from me" if i was involved in an accident with tires at that pressure. He wouldn't listen to anything i had to say on the subject and got very snotty. So, where can i get my hands on DEFINITIVE proof that going to sidewall isn't dangerous. Everywhere i look says overinflation will wear the centre of the tread. I doubt my insurance company would look at my tires with 105,000km on them at sidewall pressure and even wear to boot!
Has anyone done the braking experiment yet? I think it really needs to be done, and most definitely done in the wet because thats where the grip is really needed. By wet i mean a damp surface where the water doesn't go above the stones in the ashphalt. You know, where there's just been a shower for a few minutes but has gone away.
Anyway, sorry for going on, i'm just a little freaked out now and need this info. It's impossible to find info that goes over this magical figure of 32psi.

ollie

ps. I have 2 cars, a civic and a kia cee'd. The kia weighs way more than the civic and is a diesel too so how is it that 32psi is ok for the two?