View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
HydroJim
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
AC, power windows/locks, airbags, ABS, and things are all good. It wasn't really from a weight perspective, but I'd much rather be able to buy a car without all the fancy touchscreen computer systems, power mirrors, back up cameras, and TPMS because the vehicle would be cheaper and also cheaper to maintain.

Sometimes, they're good to have, but it's added expenses I'd rather not have. If you break a regular mirror off, you can get one for 20-30 bucks, but the electric ones are 50-60 bucks and costs add up. TPMS systems are really expensive and don't really do much if you know how to keep your tires inflated. Back up cameras are nice, but people could just turn their heads and look out the window.

All the technology is more stuff to break and makes it harder to service your own vehicle. A-lot of cars are becoming impossible to service yourself because they require special dealer services.

For example, my ford focus only came with one key when I bought it. I figured I'd get a new one made for $5 but turns out it has a special chip in it so a new key and programming is like $100 which sucks